The NAN Oshkaatisak (All Young Peoples) Council represents the youth of Nishnawbe Aski Nation. The Oshkaatisak Council strives to promote youth empowerment and engagement with the goal of improving the livelihood and hope for the future of all Nishnawbe Aski Nation Youth.
The Oshkaatisak Council supports its fellow youth in the following ways;
- Advocate for NAN Youth at the local, regional, national and international level
- Shares and promotes the successes of NAN youth and other First Nations Youth
- Creates opportunities for NAN Youth to enhance leadership skills and healthy behaviours.
- Actively participate in NAN Chiefs Assemblies as the voice of NAN youth.
- Identify ways to increase advocacy, coordination and strategic ways to increase resources and supports for NAN Youth.
We stress strong family values and recognize that belief in our culture and the preservation of our heritage and values exemplifies our dignity and affords our Youth and Nation Unity, Strength, and Success.
Current Oshkaatisak Council members;
- Miranda Chookomolin, Fort Albany First Nation
- Raven Friday, Kashechewan First Nation
- Clyde Moonias, Neskantaga First Nation
- Valerie Oshag, Eabametoong First Nation
- Randall Crowe, Deer Lake First Nation
- Jeremy Monias, Sandy Lake First Nation
- Seth Fiddler, Sandy Lake First Nation
In June of 2016 a delegation of Nishnawbe Aski Nation travelled to Ottawa to participate in a historic meeting with the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, PC, M.P., Prime Minister of Canada. The Youth Delegation from Nishnawbe Aski Nation created a Youth Declaration which outlines basic rights and principles that will guide work to create long term and positive solutions to enhancing the quality of life for Nishnawbe Aski Nation Youth. The intent of the declaration is to create a unique relationships between Nishnawbe Aski Nation Youth and the Prime Minister and the Government of Canada.
We have produced many Life Promotion messages;
- From 2012 – 2015 the following Life Promotion resources were created; (insert all files currently on website)
At the 2017 NAN Youth Gathering, the following were also created by youth participants;
For more information contact:
Youth Initiatives Coordinator
Telephone: (807) 625-4984