The Nishnawbe Aski Nation Women’s Council (NANWC) represents women and families in the governance of Nishnawbe Aski Nation. The primary purpose of this leadership role is to ensure that women’s issues, family issues, concerns, priorities and needs are identified and addressed within Nishnawbe Aski Nation.
The NAN Women’s Council honours its leadership role by;
- Participating in the decision making process of Nishnawbe Aski Nation by being representatives and active participants within Nishnawbe Aski Nation’s Chiefs Meetings.
- Providing support and direction to the Deputy Grand Chief who is responsible for the portfolio on Women’s Issues.
- Working to support the collective needs of women’s issues, concerns, and priorities.
- Promoting and facilitating community based and governmental action required to address women’s issues by leading forums, advocating for resources and embracing their leadership and advisory role.
- Ensuring that women have meaningful participation in the strategies and initiatives led by Nishnawbe Aski Nation.
- Advocating on behalf of service agencies that empower women with a goal of enhancing vital community based programs and activities
- Striving to revitalize our traditional roles of women in leadership roles and as counsel.
2015 – 2018 Women’s Council Members
- Theresa Sutherland, Fort Albany First Nation
- Theresa Spence, Attawapiskat First Nation
- Deputy Grand Chief Rebecca Friday, Kashechewan First Nation
- Chief Lorraine Crane, Slate Falls First Nation
- Teri Fiddler, Sandy Lake First Nation
For more information contact:
Director of Women and Youth Advocacy
Telephone: (807) 625-4953